Photo by Becky Abernathy at Abernathy Photographics

Monday, September 21, 2009

First “Heart” Support Meeting

Wednesday, April 8, 2009



Mended Little Hearts, a national organization, is a new support program for parents of children with heart defects and heart disease, is dedicated to inspiring hope in those who care for the littlest heart patients of all. Mended Little Hearts offers resources and a caring support network as families find answers and move forward to find healing and hope. Birmingham just got a chapter and they had there first meeting last week. Brian and I went to it. It was great to see the support of the families here in Birmingham. About 6 families showed up. We sat is a circle and shared our stories and discussed future outings and fund raising. Once again I was humbled by all the other families. Jack is the only child that has not experienced open heart surgery of some kind. That did not stop me from being the only person to cry during the meeting. I am just touched by all the things that these (and our child) children have to go through. No one, especially a child, should have to go through the day to day struggle that every “heart” baby has to go through. I also cried for all the kiddos I see at work on a daily basis...To watch the families live out a life they have never dreamed of just hits so close to home. I wish I could just blink and make it all go away!! I am so thankful for the support I have from new “heart” moms and especially the moms of the children I serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment