Photo by Becky Abernathy at Abernathy Photographics

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

last night...and some unexpected things

Jack really did great last night.  He ran a temp of 102 around 9pm that made him a little agitated, but other then that he did good.  His internal pacemaker had some problems so they had to pace his atrium with an external pacemaker and let his internal pacer pace his ventricle.  After these adjustments were made and his fever started going down, he slept very peacefully.  He started pulling out tubes around 2 am so the cardiologist decided to extubate him, so at 2:30am his breathing tube was officially removed.  YEAH!!  This made Jack so very happy.  The nurse told us that he could not have anything to drink for 4 hours after the tube was removed (those of you that know Jack well know that he loves his juice).  Lucky, he slept almost the whole 4 hours.  He woke up at 6:30 this morning asking for juice.  The nurse wanted to only give him sips at a time, and Jack would grab the juice cup from her and keep drinking.  We all felt so bad having to limit his juice, but we did not want him to throw up.

An unexpected turn happened at around 9:30am when the surgeon came by to take a look at Jack and review his post-op x-rays.  He noticed something odd on the x-ray.  After more films where taken and a lot of other  doctors reviewing the films, it was concluded that they think they left a sponge in his abdominal cavity.  So, our whirlwind began...Everyone saying "sorry", "this has never happened here", and things like that.  So, poor, sweet Jack is currently being put back under with a tube being placed so the doctors can open him back up to see if, in fact, they left a sponge inside him.  The surgeon is just beside himself and said that the counts in the OR accounted for every sponge, so he doesn't know how this could have happened.

A friend sent me this verse: "This is the only thing I could think of right now:
"Hear my cry, O God; attend to my prayer.  From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I."  Psalm 61:1

this verse sums it up right now!!  I am not mad or angry.  I just hate that Jack is having to have a tube placed again and we are looking at about a 6 hour set back.  I am just sick for him!!!  All of this came after the cardiologist said Jack was doing "spectacular"....

So, here we are again...waiting in the the surgery waiting area...Please pray that they find this sponge and get it out quick so they can get the tube out before bringing him back up to the floor.


1 comment:

  1. All I can say is that I pray for your comfort and God to be the hands of the doctors. I'm so proud of you for being so strong for Jack!

    ReplyDelete