Photo by Becky Abernathy at Abernathy Photographics

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Check-up at the Cardiologist and Pediatrician

Wednesday, September 17, 2008


We had our check-up with Dr. Pearce, the cardiologist at UAB. They checked Jack’s oxygen levels, which was 94%. They performed another 2-D echo/Doppler study (looked at his heart) and noticed no signs of congestive heart failure. All his valve measurements were good and where they should be. As Dr. Pearce said, we are in a holding pattern. He did say that he was very pleased at how stable Jack is. As the doctors like to say, Jack has a “relatively balanced circulation” at this time. I just love their wording... Dr. Pearce seems to think if Jack continues to progress like he has been, then he should be able to wait until spring/summer before having to have surgery. He did say deterioration can happen at any point.


As Brian and I where sitting in the waiting room of the cardiologist office waiting on our results from the genetic testing, I watched all these families come and go with there little ones (and some big ones). I find myself sitting and wondering what each child has...are they going to make it...is it worse than Jack’s...is it at all like Jack’s. It is a strange feeling being on this side of things. Working as a pediatric physical therapist I see child with special needs and I want to fix them. I want to do whatever I can to make the child and their family better. But these kiddos in the waiting room, including my son, I can not fix... It is quite a hard concept for me!! Because, like Jack, these kids do not look or act “sick” but inside their small little chest lies a serious problem.


The genetic results showed that Jack does not have any chromosomal abnormalities. This was a true answer to prayer!! We are so thankful that everything else seems to be in order.


We have scheduled our trip to Boston to meet Dr. Breitbart and Dr. Mayer for October 13th. Jack will have a sedated ECG and other test. Brian and I feel so lucky because my uncle has a meeting in Boston and the three of us are going with him and my aunt on his company jet. We will not have to bother with germs from commercial airlines. This also means my aunt will be able to go to the meeting with us, which I am very excited about. It will be nice to have someone else there to hear the information and to have an option. I told my aunt that I can not believe that Jack will ride his first private jet at 3 months...I did not do this until I was 29. It has started...my child gets to do things way before I ever even dreamed of doing things.


The pediatrician's visit went great!! It was very “normal” since we had just seen the cardiologist, Jack did not need his oxygen taken or anything heart related done. He weighted in at 14 pounds 8 ounces and is 25 inches long, both of which puts him into the 95%. His head circumference is 16, which puts him into the 75%. Dr. Denton is very pleased at his growth. We where told that this is great “considering his condition.” I just love those words =(. Jack got his first shots. He was not happy about them at all. I think he turned 4 different shades of red. I debated long and hard about the shots. I talked with several friends, one who has a couple of sons with special needs. I don’t think there is a right or wrong way to do the shots. I do think they are important, but does a little baby need so many at once? It is so tough!! Thank you so much to my friends who put up with me asking them tons of questions. I must say, at least they used cute band-aids!!



No comments:

Post a Comment